Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Day 10 and 11 with Ella. Yesterday we went to a traditional Chinese market. It was the oldest market in Guangzhou. Before we left Kelly, our guide, informed us that Ella should have gotten three shots the other day because we are under the Hague rules so we had to go back to the Medical office before we went to the market. I was unhappy that she had to get those shots here. I was so worried about it but she did fine and she hasn't had any problems. She was really good. She didn't even hardly cry. The first shot made her quiver a bit and I thought she was having a convulsion, scared me to death. She cried after the second shot for just a few seconds. Poor baby. I don't even like my babies getting shots in America much less here.

The market was filled with many sights and smells. Some good, some bad. Some really, really bad. There was a man spreading dried roaches out on a blanket for sell and I thought I would lose it right there. There was just about everything imaginable that can be dried for sell. Once we walked through the herbal section there were lots of different pets for sale. Of course our Noah wanted to buy them all. Dogs, cats, bunnies, chicks, turtles, fish. You name it, it was for sale. It was a long walk from the hotel to the market. We ate at McDonald's and Ella had her first, I'm sure of many, Happy Meal. Then we walked back to the hotel.

Today and tomorrow are free days for us. We are not needed at our Consulate Appointment. Kelly will take our paperwork there tomorrow and then Friday we will go to the swearing in ceremony and get her Visa and we will be free and clear. She will be all ours. When the plane lands in the US Saturday evening she will officially be an American!!! I can't wait for that day.

Well, I've shopped a little more than I probably should have but it is hard to resist. The shops are literally right outside the door of the hotel. I want to get Ella something she can keep always and use when she is grown but I haven't found that perfect thing yet. So far all I've gotten for her is traditional Chinese clothes and squeaky shoes. I will think on it tonight and decide. Noah got a Chinese chess set and Logan has his eye on a sword he wants. Dale and I haven't gotten anything yet. Too many things to choose from. I really already have the perfect thing to bring home from China to remember my trip by. She really has the cutest personality. Very funny and sweet. Loves to put everything where it is supposed to be. She is my little helper girl.

Every time I come back to the room with another bag she looks at it like, "So what'd you get me this time, Mommy?" I've had to try everything on her to make sure it fits and she loves to do that. It's really cute. I bought some Pony-O's to put her hair up in piggy tails but I need to practice a bit. Not as easy as it looks. I will post a picture of my first attempt.

I think we will take a boat ride tomorrow night on the river. They pass up and down all night and we can see them from our room. It looks like it would be really fun.

Love to all,
Priscella

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having fun shopping for your little princess! Maybe you have found something by the time I post this, but I was thinking a really nice strand of pearls for her to use later would be a good keepsake that never goes out of style. But you know me and my pearls.:) I would imagine them being pretty easy to find in China. Maybe not. Maybe even a matching pearl necklace for Ella and her mommy. Have you found any good material? Maybe some pretty silk to make her something special when you return? For oh, I don't know, graduation or her wedding day?

Of course we know you already have the perfect souvenier, and we can't wait to meet her!

Did you take pictures of the roach man? I know it sounds crazy but you should be documenting "the good, the bad, and the ugly" to show her as you continue to share all you have experienced about China.

It must have been hard having to let your daughter get immunizations from medical professionals you don't trust knowing that she will probaly have to repeat some of them here. You were just the right ones to be there with her. You are all such a strong, supportive family, and we are enjoying follwing you on your trip.
Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated.
Angela and the rest of the Abshires

Anonymous said...

hello hello -

poor baby. i went to the doctor for my back on friday. they wanted to give me a shot, and i told them: NO WAY. i hate them even as an adult.

i tried to send logan a comment for his birthday, but it didn't go through so happy belated, logan.

shopping - i'm ready to go shopping. i bought ella a cute little outfit yesterday and can't wait for you guys to get home.

aunt priss - i've been driving around a lot for work and yesterday, i thought to myself, i need to call aunt priss and then realized: oh yeah, she's not around.

hurry up and get home, you guys!

love - jenn

Anonymous said...

Where's the picture with piggy tails?!?!? i was so excited and then...no picture! hurry i need precious girly pictures of our girl. i feel deprived. i cannot wait to meet our little bit.

Hurry up!!

P.S. I like Angela's idea about the pearls. they would look so sweet on her. :)

P.P.S. love you guys!!

Marlene/Nani said...

I'm with Angela. I had already thought about pearls, too. They are so classic and beautiful, and NEVER go out of style. It's what we got Jenn for her first college grad. when we were on our cruise, in Mexico. I wanted to get Meag some, too, but she's not so into pearls, she says. I think a matching set for the two of you would be special.
How scary that must have been to have Ella innoculated there in China. I've been shopping for Ella, since you've been gone and have one little Christmas present for her, already!!! I just can't stand seeing all these precious pictures, and not getting to see and play with her. I just can NOT wait till ya'll get home. Just like Jenn said, and I wrote you a day or so ago, I've gone to call you several times and then realized you aren't here...Just can't wait to get back to 'normal' and have our Ella girl home with you all. You know, you MIGHT think of getting Ella some Jade beads or a Jade cross to wear, or something. Isn't Jade kind of associated with China,or is that Japan? Not sure...anyway, just another thought!!Well, get those pictures up...I can't wait to see. I still remember VIVIDLY the first time I put BOTH Jenn's and Meagan's hair up in piggy tails. It was SUCH a fun experience, they were just adorable, and i KNOW Ella is, too. What a little baby doll she is. And it sounds like her personality is just precious. Can't WAIT!!! Love, Marlene

UNTIL FOREVER

This morning in China a mother cries
She'll never forget her daughter's eyes
Her heart is broken and filled with pain
Her tears run down like the falling rain.
She has no choice but to leave her there
The cost of keeping is too much to bear.
She hopes her daughter will one day know
True love can be found in letting her go.

This morning in China a baby cries
Hungry and scared as tears fill her eyes
Her mother has left her in this public place
Another lost daughter of the Chinese race.
Someone passing has heard her soft moan
She is soon taken to a foster home.
It's here she'll reside in the care of another
Until she's adopted by a brand new mother.

That very same day in the U.S.A.
A woman cries as she starts to pray
Her heart is heavy but filled with much love
She prays for a daughter she thinks the world of
"Dear Jesus, I ask that your arms would be
Wrapped tightly around the one picked for me
Guard her in China until I make my way
and then in my arms she'll forever stay."

-Tom Fisher

Romans 8:15

Ye have received the Sprit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.


Slideshow from October 3, 2008